Mandhi is a classic Arabic dish that is very easy to prepare. Mandhi might seem to have very special ingredients. However, it is good to know that this dish has nothing special and out-of-ordinary ingredients. The only thing that makes this dish taste and look different is because the rice is made with the remaining meat stock. This method of preparing rice locks the taste of meat and rice together and gives this its own unique taste and character.
8 Lamb muscle
1kilo basmati rice, washed
3tbsp Mandhi spice; see *1
2 large onions, chopped
1liter vegetable stock, prepared
1. 1. Dissolve 2 tbsp. Mandhi spice in 1 cup of water and apply it to meat. Place meat and half the chopped onions in a pot, and add one-liter vegetable stock. Cook on low heat for 2-21/2 until tender.
2. 2. Remove meat from the stock. Set aside. Add hot water to the remaining stock to make 5 cups.
3. 3. Add rice to the 4 cups of meat stock. Cook for about 20 minutes on medium-low heat until ready as desired.
4. 4. In a skillet, melt butter and sauté lamb muscles on both sides and place in the serving dish. Sauté chopped onion in the remaining butter until golden.
5. Add 2 cups of saved stock to the sautéed onion and cook for 5 minutes. Pour over muscles.
Serve warm with rice and enjoy.
*1 Here is how you can prepare your own homemade Mandhi spice. Simply mix 1tsp of each: garlic powder, turmeric, black pepper, ground coriander, cinnamon, saffron (optional) and lime powder or lime juice.